I am running Windows 10 64 bit. I downloaded the version 1.5 of the 64bit wallet, ran it, created a new wallet, backed it up, and waited for it to sync. My windows account is a local admin account so there shouldn’t be a permission issue. The sync always gets stuck at 99.99%
While waiting for the sync I went to Cyptopia and acquired 1000 musicoin and sent it to my newly created address from the above process.
After almost 12 hours of it being stuck at 99% sync I did the following below:
I tried renaming the musicoin folder in appdata then running gmc-windows-4.0-amd64.exe to get the sync to work. The first time I used gmc, the sync completed to 100% but when I opened my saved wallet it said 0 coins.
I then repeated the process or renaming the appdata folder and installing the 32bit version of the wallet (1.5) and the same issue persists.
I went back to Cryptopia and checked the TransactionID against the Musicoin Block Explorer and it is showing the transaction completed and the destination address is the same as my wallet.
I am getting concerned as I cannot see how to fix this and retrieve my coins.
–UPDATE— issue resolved:
Turns out that my local time was off by a tiny fraction. Following the procedure below:
it properly updated my time and the sync completed now showing my balance. Who would have though that a fraction of a millisecond computer time being off could cause major sync issues.