$MUSIC needs to utilize the value it has created to overcome difficulty bomb

Some of you are aware, others may not be, at some point in the relatively near future Musicoin will be facing a difficulty time bomb forcing the blockchain to severely limit creation of new coins.

This is scary, but once this hurdle is jumped, there will be no stopping Musicoin!

There should be some serious brainstorm sessions to come up with ideas to generate enough coins to keep music free for listeners.

Off the top of my head:

1. Create a set $ per play and start paying out fractional coins. This will allow the Musicoin blockchain to bank a lot of coins now to have a buffer for the transition.

2. Have an promotion ticker, where artists can pay to have their songs advertised.

3. Have a new release ticker, where artists can pay promote their new song.

4. Brainstorm more ideas!

Great Ideas! Indeed the difficulty bomb should be dropped around Q4, wich also means that the price will rise (hopefully)... I think the team is working toward that direction (whitepaper V2 and a tweet about 1 week ago), at least, they thought about features to increase the value of the $Music:

• Tickets to gigs
  • payout for downloads
  • Buying $Music directly from $/€/£

but I don't think it's going to be somewhere in the near futur...

@brett-jungblut Should have read the whitepaper I think xD

1. Fractional coins will be given out, once the course stabilizes at 0.10 $US per coin. The goal is to pay 0.02 - 0.10 per play to the artist. Whitepaper V2 Sites 16ff. Right now we're far away from that.

2. In my opinion this should be avoided. Treat every musician alike and make discovery the main feature of the site. Music is the core value of this platform. Every "promotion" function turns it into what is basically the music industry, where money decides what good music is, instead of the listeners. I'd like to think I have found a platform in musicoin which avoids this and plays by the mindset of how the industry should be.

3. See 2

4. Instead create an environment, where artists can offer Merchandise, Tickets, whatever you can think of.
    But also can buy stuff, that enables them to spend MC in order to create more/better music - aka get Merchandising Manufacturers on board, Instrument retailers, etc. Let us have a second hand market, offer services to other musicians. I'd be happy to mix/master/remix other peoples work for MC, or get Instrumentalists involved to play/record parts, which I can pay with MC. This would result into a self-feeding system, where great ideas can be turned into amazing tracks, which can find a supporting audience on musicoin, which will help artists to make a living.

EDIT: I'd like to add: If services are offered, please add a minimum threshold/wage. Don't turn it into Fiverr ^^

TL:DR - Against promotional things, let music decide what is good and not Coin. Instead give us a marketplace that helps us to create better music. When you think of musicoin, don't think exclusively how to make the coin more valuable, but also think about what can be done to help to improve the core product - the music.

last edited by Neon Insect

The difficulty bomb will make it so the number of coins needed to pay the artists per play, even at fractions, will not even be close to enough. Keep in mind that as more people use Musicoin, more coins are needed to pay artists. The 'plays' are not free, they are paid from mined blocks on the Musicoin blockchain. When the # of coins created drastically drops by 90+% overnight, that business model no longer can sustain without generating revenue through the site to supplement the 'free' plays.

The current model will get decimated by the difficulty bomb. Not many people understand this.

I think you're on to something thinking through these issues, but I don't like the idea of artists paying for advertising or listings. Artists are already asked to pay for so much. There's a touch of Payola in the idea, in my opinion. I much prefer a curated/DJ-selected system or even algorithms that simply post based on traffic, plays, release date, etc. It's a ton of work, but there's just no way to replace real people who love music who are willing and able to judge new releases on Musicoin.org. I think one thing that will help is better defining genres for artists to use during song release/upload...

There is nothing wrong with utilizing the value the blockchain created to continue paying all artists for every play. Everything would remain free for the artists, and the 'ad' sales 100% go directly back to funding the 'play' pool.

Promotion is very much part of the music industry, this does not seem like a reach to me.

You don´t actually need more coins, you need the coin to increase in value. So the questions is, should musicoin lock the payout rate to usd or coins?

If we lock the payout value of 0.02$. You would have 50 coins per 1$. On the other hand if the payout value would be coin value based.
Like 0.02 $music instead. The payout would be 0.02$ per play, if the coins value would increase to 1$. But the payout could be 0.2$ per play if the coin rose to
10$ per coin. 1000 plays 200$. Instead of 20$. I don´t know, just mumblin here. Move along.

I don't follow you... in the white paper, it seems that they are going for coin value-based (which makes sense for a miner, as myself) and decreasing the payout of each play when the value will (hopefully) rise.

I agree that Musicoin shouldn't stray away from business models that'll bring in money. I am all for advertising, promos, etc. I believe by the time this happens, the community here will be so strong that these promo's won't matter to the majority of the people using the platform.

However... To get mass appeal, eventually Musicoin will have to attract the big names in music. To do this, promotional ads are a must. No way around this.

A rising tide raises all sails, remember that.

@jamesgetsit I disagree with you.

At the end of the day, the only coin that truly matters for the big names is $US.
This platform doesn't need to have promo features to attract big names. (Who do you want to promote anything here? To the 3500 other artists?)

All it takes for a big artist to take advantage of such a website is one social media post to send their following over to this website to hit that play button. They would generate 20x more than they would via spotify.

So...I would say the things this site needs to attract big names, is to look less amateurish (artist of the week headers are a huge visual turnoff), it needs to bring all kinds of features, that allow to sort or assign tracks to an album and all the things you can think off. But Promo...even...if I would agree with you...is the last feature this website needs.

last edited by Neon Insect

I agree. We don't really need big names, but big names maybe one day will need musicoin. If you see the history of music from the beginning we noticed that there always been a producer of music and one or more listeners (since 50000 years ago until today). Don't be scare about technological limits that humanity always win.
Musicoin reduce the price you pay to get your music and reduce the time gap between the creation of artistic value and economic price generate from it. That's the market : creation of value, time gap, price set.....

Can someone tell me exactly when the difficulty bomb will hit? Is it at a specific block in the blockchain?

Ambassadors

https://www.cryptocompare.com/coins/guides/what-is-the-ethereum-ice-age/
here is an article i found ... i don't understand much... can somebody explain to me/everybody more details??? and whats gonna happen with musicoin?

I am hopeful that the soon to be released update to the roadmap/whitepaper (this month?) will shed some light on the upcoming difficulty bomb (estimated date and what will be the decrease in mining reward) as well as an estimated date for when the system will shift from proof of work (mining) to "proof of sharing"/proof of stake (including if it will be gradual or immediate at some point.

Looks like your connection to $MUSIC Forum ("Let's Rock") was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.