Profile page shows earnings to everybody

• Just a query... I'm not sure if it bothers anyone else but, I noticed that when I go and visit profiles on the platform, on the profile pages it shows how much any given artist has earned etc up in the right-hand corner of the profile page. It kind of bothers me that anybody can see that information, that is listeners and other artists etc etc. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that, mixed feelings, I suppose it's there to show whoever visits the profile how much you get played and visited, a bit like follows, likes and subscriptions etc but I'm not sure I like that idea. Does anybody else have any thoughts on that?

• I think showing the earnings is familiar to people who have seen patreon. I also think it will encourage other musicians to join, as proof of concept.
    I think it may also contribute to more plays per artists when the know all they need to do is share on social to get plays. The more Musicoin grows the better it is for all of us!

• I think it is good to have it there, but an option for those who don't feel comfortable about this, should be in place. I can understand why someone is not comfortable with it. But for my own concerns: I think it's important that people can see, that they make an actual impact.

Another option could also be to have "weekly" or "monthly" revenue instead of all time revenue.

So my suggestion is:
    enable/disable option
    alltime/monthly/weekly option

• Hey @im thank you for being so responsive, as a new member, it's refreshing to see an Administrator really showing up and engaging as you do

I agree with @Kate-McLaughlin and others that actually showing the MC amount is similar to every modern music platform

And agree that it helps show unsigned artists can actually make money here (like Patreon), when you show the USD$ equivalent of the Musicoin

But I also agree with @Remo-Fiore there should be an OPTION to switch to only showing Musicoin
    Patreon has the option to show

1. Either $usd earned and active patrons
      or
    2. Just active patrons

So I think the musicoin version would be a toggle off of usd$

I think @Neon-Insect brings up a question more related to musicoin & blockchain than other music platforms though...

The value of the coin fluctuates
    And the amount of coin earned for all time is different from the amount of coin currently available (because you can withdraw coin, tip other artists, etc.)

So I think it WOULD be cool to have toggles to CHOOSE to show, besides the coin available now:
    All time coin earned
    This year/month/week/day earned
    Amount of coin GOALS
    (amount of coin artist wants before releasing next song/album/video/merch/live show/upgrade equipment, etc) similar to patreon goals.

The main thing is that bloggers and prospective artists may see $500 earned and report that as a USD $ hard fact, but really $500 earned with coin could lower to $200, or raise to $3000 the next day as the value of the coin lowers & rises.

Therefore plays, playlist adds, shares, songs released, days on the most played chart, are just as important as $usd value.

And I would love to see features like artist goals, as well as playlists featuring artist, musicoin collaborations (other musicoin artists that have songs with the artist), etc.

Full circle though, for the most part I want to see that artists here are getting paid more than other platforms - that's part of the whole point!

• I guess an hydrid solution could be showing the number of plays rather then number of $MUSIC...But I never really thought much about it.

• administrators

We'd love to collect more ideas from community. So far in the past months, we didn't see similar complain on that. But I totally understand you.

• This did cross my mind too. I imagine as the site grows (and especially when it attracts larger artists) there will be some that would like the option to hide this.

Not a high priority as there are more important things to work on right now but I agree that it should be on the list.

• @neon-insect Enable/Disable function is an excellent idea so is the alltime/monthly/weekly option you could also add a daily option.
    and maybe the actual exchange rate if a $music in EUR and USD so that when someone tips or plays a track they know how much they're actually tipping, but I think that could be overdoing it hahahahaha.

• @neon-insect This is (in my opinion) the most logical way of doing things.

When you work retail you get into a really weird headspace with tips; Should we start the day by putting some of our own money in the tip jar so people think, "Wow, a lot of other people tipped, I should tip too!" or should start without any money in the tip jar because then people will think, " Wow, nobody tipped, I should help these people out!"

It's quite the enigma.

• @neon-insect i totally agree to that. And these options would be perfect. So everyone can chose what he is most comfortable with.
    I myself have mixed feelings about everyone can see my earnings.

• Aaactually....I have a second idea for this.
    Well..let's say - an Idea that is related to this.
    Actually, it isn't even my idea, because people are doing this all over the place, but just let's pretend for the sake of why not.

Fundraising Progression

In my previous post in this thread, I suggested "weekly/monthly" option. An additional option could be "fundraising". I mean...the name is pretty much self-explanatory, but it is especially interesting for musicians. We have projects going on every time. Be it a new album in production, preparing an upcoming tour or just have the option to say: "Hey, I need this much coins to pay my food."

There is always a need to get friends and fans involved into the project we are working on, to not lose their interest and I think with this, such an interaction would be a huge argument for musicoin as a platform to support artists.

So...how could it look like:

Think of kickstarter maybe. The artist sets a goal of whatever he needs. And we have a live progress bar on track and artist page, so the listener can immediately see, that he has an impact.

Setting up a fundraiser could be an option along with my previous suggestion of "altime/monthly/weekly" earnings.

• @remo-fiore In my humble opinion, it's better to keep it for every single track - how much it earned but only in coins - no $ or whatever.
    And for artists it's better to reduce for a week or month only.
    I think transparency is a very rare thing now, and it has to be kept as long as ever possible.
    In other way around, it seems to be a good proof for real artists' and tracks' ratings, not paid by producers or whoever - I hope you know what I mean (no offence intended). But let the ratings be crystal clear and depend on plays only.
    So maybe just making possibility to hide tips if artist don't want it'll be seen will solve this issue...?

• @remo-fiore I agree with you. In fact I think it's a major problem which will keep major artists from joining the platform. First of all it's the kind of information that the more successful you are, the less you'd want people to know. Also it makes the platform appear to be about digital busking which has potential to appear amateur. Not a good look. It may well be the downfall of Musocoin unfortunately as there is a lot of competition to be the number 1 blockchain music platform and listeners will naturally be drawn to the major players and bigger crowds. I would like to see Musicoin succeed and be a part of that.

• @im Oh it's not a complaint it's just a thought. I was just wondering about it more than anything, I would like to know what other people think about it.

• @stoneygate yep that's exactly what I was wondering - Thank you!

So the other day when I had
    391 in my wallet (upper right corner)
    200 on profile (right beside follows and tips, to the right side)
    88 on track page

That was 88 from track plays
    200 from tips (112) + track plays (88)
    391 from tips & plays (200) + referrals & sign up bonus (191)
    I don't know exactly how many coins per referral but that explains it
    (if there were 4 referrals it was about 50 coins per referral that's really nice!

I'm assuming the other question of showing HOW MANY MC earned,
    is that it remains there regardless of transactions, to give us a sense of achievement, even when we withdraw funds, and to give fans and peers a sense of what we've been able to do with their support

PEACE
    P.S. I posted an embeddable Musicoin playlist today (BETA while the devs make a real official one),
    and I posted instructions on how to customize it, in the forum

• @khaiim Not sure it answers what you're asking, but if you've used a recommend-a-friend invite, then your referral bonus doesn't appear on your profile page MC count. So, when you add up what's in your desktop wallet and your wallet in the top right it will be more than your profile page total if you've had a referral bonus.

• @soundphaser I tend to agree with you there, or even show the amount earned during that given day and then zeroing it out day by day. Obviously, the full amount would be shown to the artist when they view their own profile page.

• haha @remo-fiore just want to say I love the curious, honest, and candid tone of your posts... my favorite so far was when you ended with "... but that may be overdoing it" hahahah Awesome posts

• @neon-insect Sounds interesting.

• I specifically want to highlight an issue in showing coins / currency / value / activity that's confusing to me:

This is probably just cause I'm new so please clarify this for me lol

As of this post I have
    391 in my wallet (upper right corner)
    200 on profile (right beside follows and tips, to the right side)
    88 on track page

I understand that the 88 is JUST from that track

But what is the difference between the 200 on the profile and the 391 in my wallet?

Also, going back to our previous discussion,
    If I exchange musicoin from my wallet, to make a withdrawal
    will it effect the
    1. upper right corner amount 391?
    (I'm guessing "yes duh" lol)

2. profile header amount 200
    (this number either means all time coins earned OR all time coins REMAINING)
    regardless of whether we toggle all time / this month / week /day, the question would still be whether this is remaining unwithdrawn or earned regardless of withdrawal

3. track page amount 88
    (I'm assuming this would be the same answer as 2, I think most artists would like to see their track MC number ONLY go up, I'd hate to see someone with 2000 plays on a track, drop down to 24, because they made a withdrawal)

Sorry if this is a simple question. thanks for your time and clarifying!!

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to $MUSIC Forum ("Let's Rock") was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.